What Makes Employee Management Software the Best?
47% of HR professionals cited employee retention or turnover as among the top workforce management challenges.
Hiring employees is just the tip of the iceberg. Managing them throughout their professional lifecycle is the larger piece that lies beneath.
Following a recruitment drive and selection of the right candidates, companies need to get down to onboarding, ongoing employee training, continuous engagement, performance management, performance evaluation, and so many other things.
Manpower management is not an easy job, but it doesn’t have to remain so necessarily. That’s where employee management software comes in. They can make the task manageable by streamlining it at every stage.
In this post, I’ve gathered the 10 top-rated employee management software that businesses can use to manage their employees successfully. Take a look.
Quick Feature & Price Comparison of the Best Employee Management Software
Before we get down to discussing each tool in more detail, let’s understand the following:
|10 Best Employee Management Software||Why Is It the Best?||Pricing|
|ProProfs Training Maker||
||Forever free for up to 10 learners.Paid plan starts at $1.97/active learner/month for large teams. Billed annually.|
||Starts at $2/user/month|
||Starts at $6.19/employee/month|
||Starts at $8/employee/month|
||Starts at $2.67/month/up to 15 participants|
||Available on request.|
Continuous Performance Management
Vibrant Global Community
Remote Team Development
|$4/user/month, billed annually|
||Available on request.|
||Starts at $445/month|
||Starts at $90/month|
What is Employee Management Software?
Employee management software is an online employee management system that you can use to manage employees, from hiring to the final separation. A learning management system or LMS is an example of such solutions.
These can help you take a holistic approach to employee management, covering onboarding, regular training, daily tasks, major projects, tracking goal achievement, and many other activities.
In other words, these are tools that an organization can rely on to manage employee data, monitor engagement level & performance, and align their jobs with business goals.
What Do Employee Management Systems Do?
Online employee management systems help HR departments, team leaders, managers, and even training administrators manage employees at different levels. It can be attendance, personal information, salary details, leave records, ongoing and upcoming tasks, performance data, and more.
Learning & development forms a significant part of employee management as it is linked to employee engagement, motivation, satisfaction, productivity, and retention. In this sense, an LMS can perform the task of employee management smoothly.
Features of Employee Management Software
Some of the common features you’ll come across in standard employee management software are:
- Time & attendance management system
- Communication tools
- Employee database
- Task management
- Employee self-service portal
- Payroll & benefits management
- Performance management
- Reporting & analytics
Key Benefits of Employee Management Software
Employee management solutions let you perform several mission-critical tasks that are significant for both employees and businesses.
- Centralized Management
Employee management software, integrated with productivity tools, provides a centralized place to manage employees easily. Whether it is registering their attendance, monitoring daily tasks, tracking the deliverables, and administering training programs, you can do all this using one platform.
This removes the need to deploy multiple solutions, which means incurring fewer expenses. What’s even better? There’s no need to constantly switch between tools!
- Clarity About Goals
By letting you manage your workforce systematically, employee training tools serve as a means to communicate your business goals to them. Well-managed employees understand better what’s expected of them.
In fact, clarity of job expectations is the most basic requirement for every employee as it is directly related to performance.
Using these tools, you can effectively communicate the goals to your team members and track their progress and achievement in real-time.
- Keeping Employees Engaged
Investing time in employee management translates into better employee engagement. Managed employees feel valued and this boosts their commitment to their work and larger business goals.
Without such an engagement policy, employees would be left to fend for themselves, which can be counter-productive at times. Engagement improves the quality of work and keeps employees happier.
- Improved Workflow & Efficiency
Online employee management platforms set employees up to do the right things, at the right time, the right way. This leads to improved workflow and operational efficiency.
For example, you can set time-bound SMART goals, assign related tasks, and track their progress using these tools.
This eliminates unnecessary distractions and wasted efforts with a single-minded focus on measurable goals.
- Workplace Compliance & Security
Employee management systems can help you ensure better compliance and security in your organization.
Thoroughly trained and managed employees are more likely to follow compliance rules and security protocols. This is important, especially when you’re dealing with remote teams whom you can’t physically interact with.
An employee training program delivered using employee management software can help you educate your employees on the code of conduct, how to handle sensitive customer information, and keep everyone safe from unauthorized access.
- Less Employee Turnover
According to SHRM, employee turnover costs a company 50% to 60% of an employee’s annual salary. But with employee management software, you manage employee relationships better. This results in greater employee engagement and satisfaction, and happier employees are less likely to quit.
With this, you don’t need to spend money on hiring, training, and retaining new replacements.
Now let’s get back to our main topic in the following section.
10 Best Employee Management Software Solutions
With countless tools on the market, you may remain indecisive about choosing the right software for your employee management needs. To make things simpler for you, we bring you a roundup of the 10 best. Find out.
Training Maker by ProProfs is an incredibly easy cloud LMS that you can use to train your employees as an essential element of workforce management. With this user-friendly and robust platform, you can plan and execute training programs for their ongoing learning & development.
Create beautiful and engaging online courses, lessons, and tests and train employees anytime, anywhere. For this, you can leverage ProProfs’ content library of 100+ professionally designed and ready-to-use courses as well as customizable training templates.
The LMS software comes with a virtual classroom, over 100 settings and configurations, access control & authentication systems, and other useful employee management software features.
Quizzes, flashcards, and a collaboration platform are other learning tools users will find in the employee training management software.
As a popular employee training software, ProProfs makes it easy to ensure course compliance with due date reminders. Also, you can track learner progress in real-time.
The reporting & analytics tool provides an overview of individual and group stats, including engagement level, completed & pending courses, total time taken, and score.
- Premium Course Library: Get access to a premium library of 100+ expert-designed, customizable, and ready-to-use courses on a range of corporate training topics.
- Virtual Classroom Software: Manage your employee training programs easily using a centralized and secure virtual classroom dashboard.
- Anytime, Anywhere Learning: Easily manage both local and remote workforce by providing access to courses and collaboration tools anytime and from anywhere.
- Reports & Analytics: View real-time reports and statistics on employee learning progress, engagement, performance, and satisfaction.
- Easy to use
- Highly configurable
- Awesome customer service
Pricing: Forever free plan (up to 10 learners). Paid plan starts at $1.97/learner/month (billed annually) for large teams. No hidden charges. 15-day money-back guarantee.
ProProfs Project is a simple online project management software. With this tool, you can plan daily tasks using a shared calendar, assign tasks, and ensure timely delivery. Its intuitive dashboard lets you see who’s working on what.
You can monitor the progress of your projects through Gantt charts so that you meet the expected deadlines.
ProProfs Project facilitates project collaboration by streamlining workplace communication across different teams and departments. Notifications keep you updated about the latest developments in a project.
You can prioritize projects and divide complex tasks for simplicity through an easy drag-and-drop. Easily share project files and connect ProProfs Project with Dropbox, Google Drive, and other tools.
Automated invoicing and task dependencies are other functionalities that ProProfs Project supports.
- HR Project Management Software: Leverage this robust people management tool to streamline all HR workflows, including coordination with employees and monitoring performance.
- Task Management: Easily prioritize and manage multiple tasks. Measure progress and keep your teams productive all the time.
- Gantt Charts: Track work progress, visualize milestones, and stay in the loop with alerts and notifications. Eliminate mistakes by charting project planning & progress.
- Creative Project Management: Keep deliverables on track, mitigate risks, simplify team collaboration, and ensure project completion with creative project management solutions.
- Different project views
Pricing: $2/user/month, billed annually. Try any plan free for 15 days.
BambooHR is a human resource SaaS with emphasis on application tracking, hiring, onboarding, compensation, and people data & analytics. It lets you collect and organize information throughout the employee life cycle so that you can focus more on people rather than processes.
Managing employee data is easy, fluid, and fast with this tool. All employee information is stored in a single and secure database.
You can measure employee performance, strengthen your company culture, and drive your organization forward. Add value and give support to your employees that they need most.
By giving managers and HR the capacity to manage people effectively, BambooHR enables them to achieve workplace excellence.
- People Data & Analytics: Gather, store, manage, and analyze employee information easily and securely. Get valuable insights into your business.
- Employee Self-Service: Place power in the hands of your employees with employee self-service. Let them check and update information without your assistance.
- Applicant Tracking: Keep applicants’ information organized and get down to finding the right talent. Make everything as fast as humanly possible.
- Workflows & Approvals: Streamline business decision-making with customized workflows & approval processes. Easily overcome all workflow & approval pain points.
- Great UI
- User portals
- 360-degree feedback
Pricing: Starts at $6.19/employee/month
Another worker management software you can shortlist is Zenefits. It offers all the tools you’d ever need to manage your employees easily, from onboarding to performance reviews, paid-time-off (PTO) tracking, and more.
Zenefits automatically connects different employee management functions such as HR, employee engagement, collaboration, employee well-being, and task scheduling in one platform.
Performance reviews are also made easy by this solution with tools for goal-setting, performance management, and one-on-one meetings.
All this keeps employees on track and constantly moving towards shared agendas.
- HR Administration: This easy and all-in-one solution takes care of all HR processes, from hiring to retiring. It comes with pre-built integrations and is mobile accessible.
- Performance Management: Use tools to set goals, review performance, and organize one-on-one meetings. Improve your employees’ performance at the end.
- People Enablement: Enable people to communicate and collaborate via desktop or mobile. Make your workplace more interactive and engaging.
- Reporting: Get reports on payroll timeline, general ledger, labor distribution, and many more. Create custom business intelligence reports.
- Easy layout
- All HR functions in one platform
- Benefits administration
Pricing: Starts at $8/employee/month
Slack is one of the best tools to get important tasks done collaboratively. It can help you meet the need for organized, fast, and secure communication with your employees.
Designed to support the way people naturally work in groups, Slack keeps team members connected and productive. You can share files, create action items, and send updates seamlessly.
In fact, more than 750,000 businesses use Slack every day for messaging, file sharing, and voice/video calls.
What’s more, you can easily integrate it with useful tools such as Zoom, Google Drive, and Salesforce.
The tool works well even for industries that have stringent compliance requirements.
Workflow management for remote teams is also easy with its communication tools that help you stay connected, productive, and properly aligned with your teams.
Apart from business-specific customization and employee management from a single platform, Slack offers a 99.99% uptime service level agreement (SLA).
- Channels: As a central space for tools, files, people, and conversations, channels help you stay organized and focussed.
- Voice & Video Calls: Whether you’re working from home or anywhere else, keep the teams in touch through efficient video conferencing solutions.
- Messaging: Work together in a better way through chat. Engage in open or private conversations. Keep everyone in sync with group discussions.
- Workflow Builder: Automate routine tasks, such as sharing updates. Easily send information to other connected tools or pull information from them.
- Awesome notification system
Pricing: Starts at $2.67/month/up to 15 participants
BlueTree focuses on workforce optimization & management. It is committed to helping its customers achieve business objectives through efficient use of their workforce. To that end, the platform supports end-to-end workforce management by enabling you to get the right resources in the right place at the right time.
The workforce management consulting services by BlueTree cover assessment and planning, implementation planning, workforce systems integration, training & process documentation, change management, and ongoing support and maintenance.
In the area of performance optimization, BlueTree provides expertise on performance benchmarking, business process change, and business transformation. It enables businesses to deploy human, technological, financial, and material resources as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Contract Workforce Management: Collect data related to contract employees, manage their attendance, optimize scheduling, and budget labor costs.
- Compliance Tracking: Track and manage business compliance digitally. Minimize the cost of compliance by automating all operations company-wide.
- Employee Onboarding: Remove onboarding paperwork and get alerts and notifications on the progress of new hire onboarding. Reduce onboarding time and cost by nearly 65%.
- Background Verification: Perform customized, automated, and accelerated background checks of job applicants with Attest360. Reduce turnaround time and get more accurate results.
- Specialized features
Pricing: Available on request.
15five is a continuous performance management software. It offers solutions for building a highly engaged workforce and helps organizations maximize their performance. By combining technology, education, and community, it provides a human-centered performance management platform.
Its evidence-based and trusted employee management system is based on proven methods and was developed with the latest Positive Psychology research in mind.
15five’s professional training & development, performance coaching, and a vibrant global community are behind every team transformation. Through its holistic suite of products, it provides the key to transforming employee engagement and performance.
The platform is primarily driven by four things – focus, engagement, performance, and transformation.
- OKRs: Set up organization-wide goals, ensure transparency and accountability, and facilitate team collaboration for better alignment.
- Weekly Check-Ins: Conduct weekly check-ins in order to boost engagement, motivate every team across your company, and drive productivity. Uncover challenges and opportunities through these exercises.
- 1-On-1 Meetings: Encourage team members to become their best selves through meaningful and transformational 1-on-1 meetings.
- Action Item Creation: Let users create business goals and tasks based on specific action items agreed upon during in-person meetings.
- Super-easy to use
- Great customer service
Pricing: $4/user/month, billed annually
Saba (now a part of Cornerstone) offers talent management solutions for recruiting high performers, developing top talent, ongoing engagement, and business empowerment. You can manage your employees better using this single HR solution.
Engage in advanced organizational planning by visualizing structure, headcount, performance, budget, and more. Model your workforce to meet strategic business objectives. Saba offers one effective way to upgrade the HR experience from a fragmented system to a seamless one.
Not only that, you can compare workforce metrics to understand your business’ performance better. For the last 2+ decades, Saba has been assisting companies of all sizes and in all industries in their human capital management efforts. The platform is used by over 75+ million people in more than 180 countries.
- Recruiting & Onboarding: Saba brings a software solution for frictionless recruitment and onboarding. Bring the two functions under a unified platform.
- Performance & Coaching: Take advantage of its performance management solutions to align people with business strategies and ensure business success.
- Curated Content: Leverage skill-building online content curated for you and deliverable whenever and wherever you need it. Fast-track your skill development programs.
- Compliance Training: Use Saba’s certification feature to easily deliver, manage, and track compliance training programs.
- Talent management suite
- Easily configurable
Pricing: Available on request.
If you want to get over the practice of managing your teams with emails and spreadsheets, Employee Navigator is the solution you need. From onboarding to compensation & benefits administration, PTO, compliance, and more, everything is at your fingertips, fully online and secure. It offers consolidated solutions for the HR department everywhere.
The platform centralizes HR records online and syncs employee data across multiple systems. Similarly, changes to employee information, such as addresses, contact numbers, promotions, and separations, are automatically updated across the solution.
On the safety and security side, Employee Navigator’s SOC2 (Service Organization Controls) Type II certification speaks about its commitment to the privacy and security of its customers.
- ACA & COBRA: Employee Navigator provides a set of simple yet robust tools to make ACA compliance and COBRA administration easier for everyone.
- Benefits Administration: Offer a comprehensive benefits package to your employees without spending much time and effort on benefits administration work.
- Time Off Tracking: Its modern PTO and vacation tracking tool enables users to request, review, and approve paid time off seamlessly.
- Integrated Payroll: This feature is available to companies of all sizes. Remove the need for double-entry, improve data accuracy, cut down costs, and achieve a quick turnaround.
- Ease of use
- Flexibility to handle all situations
- Regular updates
Pricing: Starts at $445/month + $500/year support
Weekdone is a provider of OKR software and coaching solutions for SMBs. The employee management tool allows users to align their organization with OKR-based goals easily. Onboarding, training, weekly check-ins, and employee performance tracking are other features in the tool.
Using dashboards, OKRs, weekly reports, and feedback become hassle-free with this online staff management system. It can help teams become more productive and, in turn, build a productive workplace.
A productive and happier team and clear means of communication are what managers and employees can expect from the platform while working locally and remotely.
It helps you identify your current goals, accomplishments, and real problems along the way. Add to that feedback that keeps everyone clear about the expectations.
- Team Compass: This consists of meetings and weekly check-ins to move teams in the right direction. You can build more engaged and productive teams through it.
- OKRs: Weekdone’s OKR software and coaching ensure a results-driven culture. Its key highlights are setting objectives & key results, initiatives, hierarchy & linking, OKR coaching & onboarding, and OKR reports.
- OKR Coaching: OKR coaches at Weekdone can help you implement OKRs successfully in the first attempt. They work closely with teams to inculcate OKR best practices in company culture.
- Dashboards: Get an overview of your team’s progress through data visualization on a dashboard. You get to either receive email reports or download custom PDF/XLS reports of the progress.
- Mobile app
Pricing: Starts at $90/month for 4-10 people, billed annually.
Deputy is an easy-to-use employee scheduling software that helps simplify shift work. The platform makes it easy to schedule shifts according to demand, and to communicate clearly. With Deputy, staff schedules can be completed in minutes and then shared with the team with a click. Deputy helps management easily organize Staff Leave, track Time & Attendance, and sync timesheets to payroll seamlessly.
Deputy integrates with over 300 leading POS and Payroll providers for end-to-end confidence. Free iOS and Android apps mean you can manage the business from anywhere.
Deputy is used by more than 300,000 workplaces internationally.
- Scheduling: Schedule the right staff, at the right times, across different roles or location
- Time Tracking: Record accurate timesheets, pass on to payroll software in a click
- Time Clock App: Make it easy for staff to record their exact hours and breaks
- Labor Compliance Tool: Simplify compliance with meal breaks, fair workweek, and other wage and hour laws
- Mobile App: Manage schedules on the go, stay connected with your team, and record the exact time worked – all in one app.
- Integrations: Deputy integrates seamlessly with payroll, point of sale, and HR systems to save you time and provide the insights you need in one place.
- Streamlines communication
- Integrations with payroll, point of sale, and HR systems
- Control of the costs
Price: Starts $2.50 employe/month. Try a free trial for up to 31 day
Which Employee Management Software You’ll Go For?
Employee management covers different stages of an employee’s journey with an organization, from hiring to separation. With the right tool, you can make it more manageable.
The tools in this list can help you with all the essential processes of employee management – applicant tracking, onboarding, performance management, time & scheduling, benefits administration, and more.
For example, an LMS for employee management can help you manage a workforce through ongoing training, engagement, and assessment. For this, they offer all the necessary tools, resources, and support to their clients. Make sure you get not just an intuitive LMS software and a course library for training but also reporting for performance management.
Do you want a free Training Software?
We have the #1 Online Training Software for employee training & assessment