I always believe that how you say something is far more important than what you say.
This can’t be truer anywhere than in the context of employee performance reviews.
Using the right comments and phrases in performance reviews is important because it can have a significant impact on the effectiveness of the review process, employee engagement, and performance improvement.
It’s about communicating the right message, the right way, to the right employee.
Here are 100 great employee performance review examples based on different evaluation criteria that you can use in your annual appraisals.
Attendance is about being present and available for work during scheduled working hours. It is an essential aspect of employee performance and organizational management as it is tied to punctuality, productivity, performance, and customer satisfaction.
Examples of Positive Attendance Review Comments
- We appreciate your consistent punctuality, which shows your dedication to your work and the company.
- Your reliability through regular attendance has set a perfect example for others to emulate.
- You’ve been punctual and always on time.
- Your excellent attendance record demonstrates your strong work ethic.
- Your consistent and timely attendance is noteworthy. It’s a pleasure to work with someone who values being present and contributes to a positive and productive work environment.
Examples of Negative Attendance Review Comments
- Your attendance record indicates excessive absenteeism, leading to increased workload and project delays.
- We noticed that you’ve a tendency to arrive at work late, causing disruption to team workflow.
- There has been a failure on multiple occasions to notify in advance about your absences, leaving team members unprepared.
- You regularly leave work early without prior approval, resulting in incomplete tasks and missed deadlines.
- Your attendance issues are negatively impacting client satisfaction and team morale.
The attitude of employees toward their work, other employees, and the organization plays a vital role in the success of a business. A positive attitude fosters a collaborative and supportive work environment. Conversely, a negative attitude disrupts team dynamics, hinders innovation, and has a detrimental effect on individuals and organizations.
Examples of Positive Attitude Review Comments
- We’re impressed with your positive and friendly attitude. It creates a harmonious atmosphere in the workplace.
- We appreciate how you consistently bring a positive attitude to work, even during challenging times.
- You’ve always taken an optimistic approach to problem-solving and turned challenges into opportunities.
- Your positive and enthusiastic attitude towards customers makes a significant impact on our customer satisfaction.
- You consistently demonstrate a can-do attitude that is truly inspiring.
Examples of Negative Attitude Review Comments
- You often display a negative attitude and lack of professionalism.
- Team members regularly reported having an unpleasant experience discussing work-related matters with you.
- Your constant dismissive and condescending tone made others feel disrespected and disregarded.
- We observed a confrontational attitude in you, which led to negative experiences with many customers.
- Your disinterested attitude seems to convey your lack of care about helping or addressing the team’s concerns.
Organizations always value employees who display leadership qualities. True leaders can lead others on the path to success, and they have a clear vision, inspire others, set personal examples, and get things done. This makes it a key performance area (KRA) to evaluate during employee performance reviews.
Examples of Positive Leadership Review Comments
- Your ability to inspire and motivate the team has been exceptional. Your leadership style drives the team to exceed expectations consistently.
- Your forward-thinking and strategic decision-making abilities have significantly contributed to the organization’s success.
- Your open-door policy and willingness to listen have created a positive and inclusive work atmosphere.
- Your mentorship and guidance have played a pivotal role in the growth and skill enhancement of team members.
- Your proactive approach to problem-solving has had a direct impact on our operational efficiency.
Examples of Negative Leadership Review Comments
- There is room for improvement in communicating expectations and performance standards to your team members.
- Your decision-making process needs refinement. Consider seeking input from team members to ensure a more well-rounded perspective before making key decisions.
- A more organized approach to tasks is necessary to avoid delays in project completion.
- There have been instances where the delegation of tasks lacked clarity, leading to confusion among team members. Please work on this area.
- Improvement is needed in handling interpersonal issues to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
Watch: How to Develop Core Leadership Skills
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Effective communication and interpersonal skills are paramount in professional environments. They facilitate clear conveyance of ideas, ensure mutual understanding among team members, and foster a cohesive work environment. These skills also build trust, resolve conflicts, and enhance collaboration.
Here are some performance evaluation examples based on this assessment criteria.
Examples of Positive Review Comments On Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Your ability to articulate ideas clearly and concisely has greatly enhanced team collaboration.
- Your communication style fosters an open and transparent work environment.
- You understand your colleagues’ perspectives through active listening and it has strengthened our team dynamics.
- Your approach to offering constructive feedback is commendable. It shows your dedication to helping team members grow and improve their skills.
- We noticed your versatility in adapting communication styles to different team members and situations and it has been a valuable asset.
Examples of Negative Review Comments On Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- At times, your communication lacked clarity and it has led to confusion in the team.
- Improvement is needed in actively seeking and incorporating input from others.
- Your tendency to interrupt during discussions has been noted. It’s important to allow others to express their thoughts fully before responding to ensure a more respectful and collaborative environment.
- There’s room for improvement in being more open to constructive feedback. Embracing feedback is essential for personal and professional growth.
- You should work harder in the area of refining your communication style to match the different situations and personalities of the team members.
If your employees are skilled in their core work but often struggle with communication, it is advisable to provide them with training to overcome the obstacle.
I recommend exploring this Workplace Communication Skills Course. It specifically focuses on the practical aspects of effective communication to bring measurable changes in employees’ soft skills.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Teamwork and collaboration are critical components of success in the workplace. They are the foundation for shared responsibility, synergy, collective problem-solving, efficiency, and productivity. Check out which performance review phrases and comments you can use in this evaluation.
Examples of Positive Teamwork & Collaboration Review Comments
- We’re glad to learn that you consistently demonstrate excellent teamwork skills by actively collaborating with team members and willingly sharing knowledge and expertise.
- You’ve been a valuable team player who consistently goes above and beyond to support your colleagues and contribute to shared goals.
- You’ve been instrumental in fostering a positive environment by encouraging open communication, actively listening, and providing constructive feedback.
- Your ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with team members greatly enhances collaboration and contributes to the overall success of the team.
- You consistently demonstrate a strong commitment to teamwork by being flexible, adaptable, and supportive of changes.
Examples of Negative Teamwork & Collaboration Review Comments
- We observed difficulty in working well with others and resistance to cooperation, negatively impacting team dynamics.
- You often fail to participate in team discussions actively and tend to work independently, which limits collaboration and the ability to generate innovative ideas.
- Your lack of communication skills often leads to misunderstandings and conflicts within the team, hindering collaboration and productivity.
- The tendency to dominate conversations during team meetings inhibits equal participation and diminishes the sense of collaboration among team members.
- There has been a consistent failure to meet deadlines and deliver on commitments, putting additional pressure on team members.
Watch: How to Build High-Performing Teams
Flexibility & Agility
Flexibility and agility enable employees to adapt to changing business environments, respond quickly to new challenges, and stay competitive. They make a business more resilient.
Examples of Positive Flexibility & Agility Review Comments
- You have consistently demonstrated a high level of flexibility in adapting to changing work demands.
- Your ability to quickly switch gears and handle unexpected challenges is commendable.
- You’re always willing to go above and beyond your designated responsibilities by helping out team members in various areas.
- You consistently exhibit a positive attitude and adaptability when faced with new procedures or systems.
- You’re always open to change and it has positively impacted the overall productivity of the team.
Examples of Negative Flexibility & Agility Review Comments
- You have shown some difficulty in adjusting to changes, which has resulted in delays and inefficiencies in task completion.
- Your lack of flexibility in accepting feedback and resisting alternative approaches has hindered team collaboration and stalled projects.
- In situations that required quick decision-making, you tended to become overwhelmed and struggled to adapt your approach, leading to missed opportunities.
- A rigid adherence to established routines limits your ability to respond effectively in dynamic situations.
- We have observed that you struggle to maintain composure and adapt when dealing with unexpected challenges or setbacks. Your ability to stay agile in such situations needs improvement.
Dependable employees contribute to a positive work environment by meeting deadlines and enhancing overall organizational efficiency. Their reliability reduces stress, builds trust among team members, and positively impacts the company’s reputation.
Examples of Positive Dependability Review Comments
- You’re a reliable person and you consistently deliver high-quality work on time.
- We can always count on you to meet project deadlines in record time.
- Your dependability is exceptional. You consistently show up on time and are always ready to help team members.
- You’re a true team player who can always be relied upon to get the job done, no matter the circumstances.
- Your dependability is outstanding. You take ownership of your tasks and ensure they are completed efficiently and accurately.
Examples of Negative Dependability Review Comments
- You need to improve your dependability. There have been several instances where you’ve missed deadlines or been late for meetings.
- Your lack of reliability often causes delays in project completion and negatively impacts the team’s overall productivity.
- Your uninformed leaves are a big concern, as they create disruption in team schedules and hamper progress on deliverables.
- You came up short in fulfilling commitments and it caused frustration among team members and hindered goal achievement.
- Your lack of accountability and reliability has led to missed opportunities and dissatisfied customers.
Time Management & Efficiency
Time management and the resulting efficiency enable individuals to maximize productivity and accomplish tasks in a timely manner. By effectively managing one’s time, prioritizing tasks, and implementing efficient strategies, employees can reduce stress, optimize workflow, and meet deadlines consistently.
Let’s check out some employee performance review comments examples on time management.
Examples of Positive Time Management Review Comments
- Your time management skills are notable. Your ability to organize and allocate time to different tasks efficiently contributes to the overall success of the team.
- You consistently deliver tasks within tight deadlines, showing a remarkable ability to balance multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Your dedication to efficient time utilization is commendable.
- You’ve been a reliable team member with outstanding time management abilities.
- You’re adept at setting realistic timelines and consistently meeting or exceeding expectations.
Examples of Negative Time Management Review Comments
- Your time management has been a concern lately. There have been instances of missed deadlines, so you need to prioritize tasks and allocate time effectively to ensure timely project completion.
- Based on our reviews, you should start developing a more structured approach to planning and executing tasks to avoid the negative impact on team timelines.
- Time management has been inconsistent on your part. While you show the capability to meet deadlines, there have been instances where poor planning resulted in rushed work.
- Your time management skills need improvement. There have been occasions where tasks were not completed on schedule. You should focus on better planning and organization.
- Poor time management is a concern. Focus on addressing this issue promptly to avoid further setbacks.
Is a lack of time management taking a toll on your employees’ productivity and overall performance?
This online training course on managing time can help your employees become more productive by prioritizing their daily activities more efficiently. It demonstrates how to overcome procrastination, handle distractions, and schedule tasks smartly.
Innovation & Creativity
Innovation and creativity in the workplace are highly sought after as it is crucial for businesses to stay ahead of the competition. They drive growth, bring new ideas to the table, and create unique and valuable products or services that meet the changing needs of customers.
Examples of Positive Review Comments On Innovation & Creativity
- You always bring fresh and creative ideas to the table, which has helped us come up with some truly innovative solutions.
- Your ability to think outside the box and come up with new approaches to difficult problems is a real asset to the team.
- Your creativity has helped us win several new clients, and your willingness to take risks has paid off in big ways.
- You consistently produce high-quality work that shows your ability to innovate and improve upon existing processes.
- Your ideas and suggestions have helped us streamline our operations and improve efficiency across the board.
Examples of Negative Review Comments On Innovation & Creativity
- You’re resistant to change and unreceptive to new ideas, which holds back the team’s progress and prevents us from reaching our full potential.
- Your lack of creativity has resulted in stagnant projects and missed opportunities to improve our business.
- Your work has been lacking in originality and innovation, which has affected our ability to compete in the market.
- Your unwillingness to try new things or take calculated risks has prevented us from exploring new revenue streams.
- You tend to focus too heavily on the status quo, rather than exploring new ideas and approaches to problem-solving.
Train your employees on how to build a culture of innovation in the workplace by using the following course:
Watch: How to Build a Culture of Innovation | Training Course Introduction
Problem-solving ability enables individuals to navigate challenges, make informed decisions, and contribute to organizational success. Employees with strong problem-solving skills can efficiently address issues, enhance productivity, and foster innovation, ultimately promoting a dynamic and adaptive work environment.
Examples of Positive Review Comments On Problem-Solving
- Your problem-solving skills are truly impressive. You can tackle challenges with a creative and analytical mindset.
- We appreciate the way you approach problems. You’re not afraid to take the initiative and find solutions independently.
- Your resourcefulness in handling unexpected issues is commendable, and it greatly contributes to the overall efficiency of the team.
- You demonstrate a keen ability to identify root causes and implement effective solutions.
- Your problem-solving skills have made a significant difference in several recent projects. It’s testimony to your ability to thrive in challenging situations.
Examples of Negative Review Comments On Problem-Solving
- There have been instances where your problem-solving approach seemed reactive rather than proactive. It’s crucial to anticipate potential issues and address them before they escalate. Let’s work on fostering a more anticipatory mindset.
- We’ve noticed a pattern where you tend to struggle with finding solutions independently. It’s important to be more self-reliant in problem-solving situations. Consider taking the initiative to research and explore potential answers.
- Your problem-solving skills need improvement, particularly in terms of speed and efficiency. There have been delays in resolving issues, impacting our team’s productivity. Let’s discuss strategies to streamline your problem-solving process.
- In some instances, your problem-solving approach lacked a comprehensive analysis of the situation. Start delving deeper into the root causes of issues rather than opting for quick fixes.
- There have been communication gaps in your problem-solving process, leading to misunderstandings within the team. Always keep everyone informed about your approach and progress.
Ready to Conduct Outstanding Performance Reviews?
If yes, start with these employee performance review examples.
Annual employee evaluations are an age-old tradition in any organization, but the way you summarize your assessments is even more important.
Regardless of which KRA you’re evaluating, clear phrasing makes it easier for employees to understand the points you’re communicating, and they can focus on future expectations better.
Make the feedback as objective as possible and express them concisely.
Such clarity in performance review phrases and comments will enable your employees to absorb the feedback and ultimately act on it.
To help you make headway, here’s a performance review template you can use. It contains manager and self performance review examples.
Know More About Employee Performance Reviews
What is a performance review?
A performance review is a process where employees and their supervisors discuss the employee’s job performance, identify areas that need improvement, and set goals for future development. Generally, such reviews are held annually and they are done for all employees at all levels. But while annual performance reviews are a common practice, some organizations are moving towards more frequent and continuous feedback systems. This enables more timely adjustments, fostering a culture of ongoing improvement and development.
How to write an effective employee performance review?
The effectiveness of performance reviews depends on the quality of the feedback provided, the clarity of goals, and the commitment of both managers and employees to the process. To write an effective employee performance review, set clear expectations and goals from the start, document specific examples of the employee’s performance, provide constructive feedback on areas for improvement, recognize the employee’s strengths and successes, and develop a plan for future performance and career growth.
Watch: How to Give Great Feedback | Training Course Introduction
Do you want a free Training Software?
We have the #1 Online Training Software for employee training & assessment